Shortly after the September announcement that Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky (The Office) were penning a screenplay for a third installment in the Ghostbusters franchise, the Internet was abuzz with casting speculation. And since he has been in just about every blockbuster comedy released over the past few years, Seth Rogen (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, Pineapple Express) was tossed into the mix fairly early on. I can certainly picture him with a proton pack. Can’t you?
Eisenberg and Stupnitsky previously worked with Rogen on the yet-to-be-released Year One, a film directed by Ghostbusters co-creator Harold Ramis (you probably remember him best as Egon Spengler). You also saw him play Rogen’s father in the Judd Apatow-directed Knocked Up back in the summer of 2007.
However, at a press junket to promote his next film, Kevin Smith’s Zack and Miri Make a Porno, Rogen told Collider.com what he really thinks about all this Ghostbusters sequel talk.
“It’s hard to imagine that would be good, isn’t it? I mean just as a movie fan I am the first guy to be skeptical of that,” Rogen told the website. “It sounds like a terrible idea when you first hear it. At first hearing it sounds like the worst idea ever. I dunno. Maybe. I mean, that would have to be one motherfucking good script.”
Okay, so he’s reasonably cautious, and added in the interview that his involvement would all depend on “how bad the script was.”
Count me as one of those kids of the 1980s who’s hoping for a script that is, as Rogen put it, “motherfucking good.”
Zack and Miri Make a Porno hits theaters on October 31.