Sunday, June 14, 2009

Valve to Continue Supporting Original Left 4 Dead Despite Forthcoming Sequel

When game developer Valve unveiled a sequel to its smash-hit zombie shooter Left 4 Dead at the Electronic Gaming Expo in Los Angeles earlier this month, some of the game’s hardcore fans were pretty disgruntled. Kotaku reports that thousands of L4D enthusiasts even signed an online pledge to boycott the game when it hits store shelves on November 17.

However, according to Valve president Gabe Newell, the developer will continue supporting the original game with updates and new content. So, if you want to continue eviscerating undead flesh eaters with your friends, you won’t necessarily need to shell out $60 for L4D2.

“Some in the community are concerned that the announcement of L4D2 implied a change in our plans for L4D1. We aren't changing our plans for L4D1,” Newell told Kotaku. “In addition to the recently released Survival Pack, we are releasing authoring tools for Mod makers, community matchmaking, 4x4 matchmaking, and more new content during the coming months for L4D1.”

Okay, so the bottom line is that we’re getting a brand-new L4D, but there’s still going to be plenty of new content for fans who don’t want to buy the sequel. That seems reasonable. Activision released Call of Duty: World at War just one year after the acclaimed Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and both online communities are thriving with a great deal of fan overlap.

However, will L4D2 (which totally sounds like a Star Wars droid) be a different enough experience to justify its price tag? Should this have been a downloadable add-on? Valve’s Chet Faliszek told Kotaku that while the content released thus far looks eerily similar to the original game, “none of the additions [in L4D2] are trivial.”

No comments: